Mobile menu icon
Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Mobile menu icon Search iconSearch
Search type

Integrated Foundation Year

Student sat at desk, smiling at camera

International students

Manchester is a diverse, multicultural city, and the University takes great pride in welcoming students from across the world.

All students studying on our Integrated Foundation Year courses benefit from being part of the undergraduate student community. Your studies will be on the same campus, have access to the same facilities and be taught by the same University staff – you will have the same student experience as any other undergraduate.

Esteban Velez Froment

During my Foundation Year I managed to practice my English. At the beginning understanding the lectures was quite challenging, however, during the last lectures, I realised that I could understand almost everything, which made me feel more confident.

Esteban Velez Froment / BEng Mechanical Engineering with Management

When coming to Manchester to study from overseas, there are a few things to consider before you apply.

Find out more about the University’s funding options, language information and Manchester in general, below.

English language requirements

Applicants for all undergraduate degree programmes require an approved English language qualification. For September 2022 entry, approved English language qualifications include:

  • GCSE in English Language Grade C/4 or equivalent.
  • International Students to achieve an UKVI for IELTS score of no less than 5.5 in each and every component with a score of 6.0 overall.

Some English Language test results are only valid for two years. Your English Language test report must be valid on the start date of the course.

There are alternative acceptable English language qualifications. You can find out more about the requirements for individual countries by viewing our country-specific information.

If you cannot find your particular qualification, send an email to the undergraduate admissions office asking whether your qualification fulfils the English language entry requirement.

Visa requirements

To study at The University of Manchester, international students require a Tier 4 (General) student visa.

Please read the University’s guidance on visas before you start working on your application.